- Seal Design Guide by Apple Rubber - PDF
- O-ring Design Guide by Parker - PDF
- See 4-18 for gland dimensions for standard static face seals.
- Rotary Seal Design Guide by Parker - PDF
Description of O-rings
Descriptions of rotary seals.
- Video Overview of Rotary Lip Seals - Trelleborg
- Friction torque of a rotary shaft lip type seal - a comparison between test results and finite element simulation - PDF (487.9 KB)
- Rotary Dynamic Seals by Georgia Institute of Technology PDF (2.5 MB)
- On the sealing mechanism of radial lip seals by Tribology International - PDF (561.0 KB)
- Dynamic Sealing Principles by NASA PDF (9.4 MB)
- Radial lip seals efficiency under dynamic operating conditions by International Conference on Tribology PDF (408.8 KB)
- Detailed surface analysis of lip seal elastomers ran against shafts manufactured with triangular cavities - PDF (6.7 MB)
- Thermal-Mechanical Coupled FE Analysis for Rotary Shaft Seals - PDF (3.6 MB)
- Mechanical seal performance and related calculations - PDF (2.1 MB)
- Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Radial Lip Seal Geometry on Sealing Performance - PDF (1.1 MB)
Description of bearing isolators
- Bearing Isolators: An Expert Guide - aesseal.com
- Thermoplastic Labyrinth Seals For Centrifugal Compressors - semanticscholar.org
Description of gaskets
- Submersible gaskets - stockwell.com
You can injection mold complex gasket shapes in silicone rubber if your enclosure isn’t round or conforming to off-the-shelf solutions.
CAUTION: Polishing a mold with a small gasket cross-section may cause flash.
You may be tempted to specify a polish on the gasket mold for sealing performance. If the gasket cross-section is smaller than your shop’s polishing tools, you may round the edges along the parting line, increasing flash.
Lubrication is typical in seal installations.
- Improves seating.
- Reduces pinching.
- Helps with installing complex and delicate geometries by allowing the gasket to stick.
- Swells the seal to improve sealing performance.
- Lubrication Compatibility Chart by Parker - PDF
- Lubrication Compatibility Chart by Apple Rubber- PDF
CAUTION: Most silicone lubricants are not compatible with silicone rubber.
They will lead to rapid degradation. Instead use a Barium-based grease or other purpose engineered formulation. McMaster sells a Barium grease compatible with silicone.
- Sealing Challenges For The Medical Industry - machinedesign.com
- How to Select Seals for Medical Devices - mddionline.com
- Medical Device Solutions - Apple Rubber